Friday, 1 May 2009

JS1101E/GEK1002

INTRODUCTION TO JAPANESE STUDIES AIMS & OBJECTIVES

This module introduces students to the subject of Japanese studies from a multi-disciplinary approach. It has three main components. The first component is humanities, covering art, philosophy, history and literature. The second component is social sciences, which includes sociology, anthropology, politics and economics. The third component is linguistics and language development. Students will learn about the methods and theories the various disciplines contribute to the study of Japan. Audio-visual materials, fieldwork, guest lectures, study tours, projects and debates will supplement lecture and tutorials.

yeah right. Japanese history (I define it as anything post-war and before) took up 6 out of 11 lectures. that's totally disgusting. Initially when I took up the module, I was thinking a little history wont harm, who knows in the end half the module was on history. yuck sucks. I hate history and totally have no flair nor love in it. Indeed, I admit that history is important, but it totally turns me off. I wanted to study Japanese study yesterday but in the end, I ended up watching three movies *sheepish* Studying history just makes everything, other than itself, seem more interesting. I tried reading the Japanese history on wiki and in the end, ended up reading up on Ainu, who are Japanese aborigins. Seriously, the social issues, are much more interesting than it's history. Religion also interesting. But these are only 2 out of the 11 lectures. what else, hmm, really everything except history is interesting. We studied the pop culture and gender issues in Japan. Super interesting and definitely easier to identify with. There's another one about Japanese high culture which has something to do with the Kabuki culture. Personally, I would like to classify it under history, but didn't do so cos this leads up to the current high culture in Japan. If i classify it under history, that'll be 7 out of 11 lectures T.T really makes me want to cry! I should have taken gem on geography or smth for GEM. Planning to take Changing Landscapes of Singapore for SS. Or the Biophysical Environment of Singapore. Any advise? Oh any difference between level 1000 and 2000 for SS? level 2000 more difficult?

Really, I'm glad to be in Real Estate although I'm not doing well in it >.< I've no desire to change course after studying one year in RE, not because I feel that it's a waste to change faculty after one year in RE but because I rather do RE than other subjects. Perhaps, I might do better in other subjects but I like doing RE more than others. Actually, based on my last sems results, it's true that I did worst for my RE modules, both of them T.T and they're even worse than my physics, which is an engineering module. bahhhh~ it's really quite discouraging to do badly in modules that I like as compared to those that I have little interest in.

No comments: